After almost 20 years of teaching I have decided to have a break and share my practice with practitioners near and far. My work has been defined and refined by the knowledge that the children I have worked with have given to me. Through their story telling I have learned that imagination and reality can become one and the same. From their everyday peer-to-peer conversations I have learned to listen with complete objectivity. Sharing their dialogues often in story form with their peers has opened up true whole class listening. Listening with compassion, with shared understanding of the known and unknown and committed collaboration to seek understanding. This is what we call listening with our brains and hearts.
As this site develops I will be adding the following sections;
- A weekly recommended book for creative and philosophical play and enquiry.
- Questions and ideas from the children in response to a range of stimuli.
- A Philosophy Club section for parents and children to share ideas for home school together thinking.
- Links to philosophy for children articles written by myself and others.
- Must have resources to develop philosophical skills.
- Book lists for philosophy in the EYFS, Key Stages 1 and 2.
- A section for others to share ideas, ask questions and offer each other a support network.
Please do add comments on anything else you might find helpful. I look forward to many philosophical adventures.
I hope that this website and its companion site www,childrenthinking.co.uk will inspire you to work with your children in the same way. honest, trusting and experimental experiences that open doors into the philosophy of the real world we live in.