I recently met up with my lovely publishing and marketing friends at the Federation of Children’s Book Groups annual conference at Culford College.
I only had one day this year so I had to sacrifice a seminar and interesting author talk or two in order to sit on the floor and read as many forthcoming publications as possible.
Pip and Morag from Bounce marketing showed me some really exciting proof copies some of which I will share with you here.
Flying Eye Books
Topsy Turvy World-Hans-Georg Barber (March 2013)
A wordless picture book fantastically illustrates a world where nothing seems quite right.
Philosophical Ideas-A great opportunity to share “What would happen if? ” scenarios and creative philosophical issues.
Welcome to Your Awesome Robot- Viviane Schwarz (Feb 2013)
A build your own instruction and imagination manual to create the robot of your dreams ..or nightmares?
- Philosophical Ideas-What would you do with a robot? Could your robot ever be a true friend? Could robots ever replace humans?
Wild- Emily Hugues (June 2013)
A beautiful picture book about a small child born and raised in the wilderness without human contact.
- Philosophical Ideas-How do we become who we are? What makes humans and animals different? Is there a perfect way to live?
Anton and the Battle-Ole Konnecke (Feb 2013)
Anton returns in his latest adventure to compete in a strange battle with his friend.
- Philosophical Ideas -Why does strength matter? What do we mean by strength? Is there anything more powerful then strength?
That’s Mine-Michel Van Zeveren (Feb 2013)
Little frog finds an egg but what happens when others want it too?
- Philosophical Ideas -How do we decide ownership? Can we ever own anything? Would a lost egg ever find its true parent?
Nosy Crow Books
Troll Swap- Leigh Hodgkinson (June 2013)
A Troll and a girl feel out of place in their homes so decide to swap places . But is the grass always greener on the other side?
- Philosophical Ideas-How do we expect girls to behave? Are girls different from boys? How do we expect trolls to behave? What makes trolls behave the way they do ?
Weasels- Elys Dolan (April 2013)
You might just have the wrong idea about what weasels do. They do not in fact argue with squirrels but instead spend their time plotting world domination. Find out if they will succeed.
- Philosophical Ideas- What would you do if you ruled the world? How would you go about creating a new planet ? What sort of person would be best at running the world and why?
Shifty McGifty and Slippery Sam- Tracey Corderoy (May 13)
What happens when two dogs decide that a life of disastrous robberies is not for them?
- Philosophical Ideas-Why do people steal? Is there ever a good reason to steal? Can you only steal objects?
Grendel: A Cautionary tale About Chocolate-David Lucas (March 13)
Grendel wishes for a world of chocolate with consequences that will make us think carefully about what we wish for.
- Philosophical ideas-What would you wish for and why? Could there be such a thing as a perfect wish ? What sort of world would it be if people’s wishes all came true?
Nothing Like a Puffin-Sue Stotis & Bob Kolar(March 13)
I bet you didn’t know that a Puffin is like a house? A book which challenges the ways children can make creative comparisons and classifications.
- Philosophical ideas- A valuable skill in enquiry based learning . combine with activities such as odd one out and same different to extend thinking skills.
The Dark-Lemony Snicket & Jon Klassen (April 13)
Lazio is afraid of the dark and they just happen to live in the same house..
- Philosophical ideas- What is “dark? ” What is fear? Do we control fear or does it control us? Why do we say “there is nothing to fear but fear itself?”
Below is a link to view a trailer for this wonderful book
The Book of Dreams-Shirin Adl (May 13)
A journey through a colourful night time of imagination. What sort of dream will you have tonight?
- Philosophical Ideas-What is a dream? Where do dreams come from? Can you dream of things you’ve never seen? Do blind people dream in pictures? How do we know the difference between dream and life? What if we are all having the same dream?